Gabrielle's Life and Writings

Gabrielle Lawson, writer of Fanfiction. I will use this space to keep a journal about my writing, the progress I'm making, stories I'm working on, writer's blocks I'm having, our adoption process and progress and just life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

I'm multifaceted and highly educated. I have a BA in History and an MA in Museum Studies. But I couldn't make a living in a museum, so my hobby--computers--became my living. I'm now a charter member Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician. I aspire to be a professional writer and/or poet. I am a Christian and have been living by His grace for the last four years or so, despite the MegaStress and now the GigaStress. He keeps me going, and displays His glory still, in my life.

Tuesday, June 10, 2003

I am new to this whole blogging thing, but I know it's become quite popular. So I thought I might try it out. I know many people have read my stories and I thought maybe they might like to know my thoughts, processes, insprirations, troubles, etc. They might just want to know what's taking me so long to post the next story! Or if I'm still writing at all!

So here I am.

Introduction



I'm Gabrielle Lawson, author of fanfiction. I'm mostly known for my Star Trek: Deep Space Nine fanfiction. I've written nine or ten stories in that fandom, some short and some very, very long. Two of them have won Best DS9 (General) Story in the alt.startrek.creative annual awards: If It's Not One Thing.... in 1996; Oswiecim in 1998; and Faith, Part I: Hope won Best MIS Combined (for crossovers among Star Trek series) in 2000. All of my Trek stories can be found on Fanfiction.net in my author's profile but also on my own site: The Edge of the Frontier.

I have also written two Angel stories. The first is a tiny vignette where Angel tells Harry of Doyle's death, called Just a Messenger. The other is an epic we-have-to-save-the-world-and-oh-we-need-Doyle-alive-to-do-that crossover with the Scooby Gang of BTVS. That is Close to Home...So Far Away. These can also be found at Fanfiction.net (or ff.net, for short) or my own site (which also includes an archive of other people's good Doyle fiction): This Side of the Nether.

And lately, I've tried dipping my toes in The Young Riders fanfiction. It is based on one of my favorite shows over a decade ago. The show featured a group of young Pony Express riders, one of whom was a half-breed Kiowa. He was a tragic character if ever there was one, and I do love a tragic character. As far as fanfiction goes, it's a new fandom. Not very many stories by not very many writers. This story is The Journey and it is only on ff.net, under my author profile (linked above).

I'm also a writer of Lord of the Rings fanfiction, sort of. I use a penname there and though I don't keep it a secret, I do keep it separate. So Ainaechoiriel is the one who writes those stories. She calls me her Mortal Alter Ego (or MAE, for short). She has a website (nothing fancy yet) called The Land of Myth and Memory and her own profile on ff.net. (Sorry no link at this time. Ff.net is down.)

So, now you know me. Let's get to what this blog is meant for:

On Writing or "why I haven't posted the next chapter/story yet!"



A friend of mine met Armin Shimmerman at a convention and told him she had a friend who writes DS9 fic. She told him my name and he asked if I'm still writing. He hadn't heard anything from me in awhile! I was flabbergasted when she told me! I had given Armin a copy of Oswiecim at least a year or two before. Could this mean he'd actually read it? He knew me by name!

And he also seemed to know that I was slow in finishing my stories. Sigh. Yes, I admit it. I am. Especially since the MegaStress. I'll explain that in another post sometime.

Let me just assure you that yes, I am writing. My TYR readers are wondering when the next chapter is coming and my Trek readers, if they haven't given up on my already, are wondering where the final part of the Faith trilogy is.

Well, I had writer's block for a long time. I put the TYR away to try to write Faith, but I couldn't get anywhere. I knew what Bashir was doing, but not the rest of the DS9 people. I only figured them out a couple of months ago. In the end, I decided to swap chapters. I'd post a chapter of The Journey (I'm experimenting with a WIP--something else I'll get into later) and then I'll work on a chapter of Faith, Part III and so on.

I just finished the third chapter of Faith III. I was hoping the third part would be five chapters like the other two, but I think it's going to be longer. I'd have to cover four days' worth of events in only two chapters. And chapter three was one of those and it only covered one day. So I'm thinking Faith III will be six chapters long.

So now that chapter 3 (or chapter 13 in the whole of Faith) is done and awaiting beta comments, I'm going to start on the last chapter of The Journey. After it's finished, I can concentrate on Faith, though there is another TYR short story that needs an ending and a title.

Well, that's it for now. I hope you found it somewhat interesting. I plan to post here my thoughts and inspirations, some insights in how I write, the problems I have writing, and so forth. I'll try not to spoil anything for the stories I haven't posted though. It will be a difficult balance: being more detailed while also staying vague.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home