Gabrielle's Life and Writings

Gabrielle Lawson, writer of Fanfiction. I will use this space to keep a journal about my writing, the progress I'm making, stories I'm working on, writer's blocks I'm having, our adoption process and progress and just life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

I'm multifaceted and highly educated. I have a BA in History and an MA in Museum Studies. But I couldn't make a living in a museum, so my hobby--computers--became my living. I'm now a charter member Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician. I aspire to be a professional writer and/or poet. I am a Christian and have been living by His grace for the last four years or so, despite the MegaStress and now the GigaStress. He keeps me going, and displays His glory still, in my life.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Alas, if not for the speech typer


If you're wondering why I haven't written while this time, the answer is that I have. Or at least my secret identity has. The problem is that I can't type much. Or write with a pen much. Something is wrong with my hands.

It doesn't appear to be carpal tunnel syndrome. I have been tested for that and my nerve function is 100%. They've put me on anti-inflammatories that did nothing. And just recently I was given x-rays and MRIs at a rheumatologist's office. We will know for at least another week. My hands have been hurting since May or June.

For a while, I could write with a pen, and I saw my secret identity actually got quite a lot written. I even tried to write a little bit of The Honored and some drafts of articles about adoption and computers. I also wrote a very short CSI piece after the recent episode, 'Fannysmackin', called Into the Deep End

Now, though, it hurts to hold a pen. So if I'm going to write, it will have to be by speech typing. Even the best software has issues and will misrecognize a lot of words. Most of those I will catch, but it makes for a slow process. I have composed with it in the past, I just don't feel it is my most creative media at this time. It's just a feeling. It comes that goes. Sometimes if I can't get the juices to flow in one medium, I'll switch to another. Paper and pen, CliƩ, computer, speech typing. Right now I feel most creative with pen and paper. Computer would probably be second. CliƩ would then be third. If the inspiration isn't just flowing, speech typing is too slow and requires too much correction, making it seem slower.

So I procrastinate. Writing stories and writing this blog. I miss my hands.

    Status of Stories
  • Into the Deep End: finished. Posted to fanfiction.net
  • secret penname's story: currently needing to speech-type Chapter 7
  • The Honored: still on chapter 2
  • Purgatory: where it has been for years

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home