Gabrielle's Life and Writings

Gabrielle Lawson, writer of Fanfiction. I will use this space to keep a journal about my writing, the progress I'm making, stories I'm working on, writer's blocks I'm having, our adoption process and progress and just life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

I'm multifaceted and highly educated. I have a BA in History and an MA in Museum Studies. But I couldn't make a living in a museum, so my hobby--computers--became my living. I'm now a charter member Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician. I aspire to be a professional writer and/or poet. I am a Christian and have been living by His grace for the last four years or so, despite the MegaStress and now the GigaStress. He keeps me going, and displays His glory still, in my life.

Wednesday, June 18, 2003

A Hunting We Will Go....House-hunting, that is.


So it's now Wednesday and I haven't updated this blog since Sunday. Well, Friday I found out my lease ends September 30th, which makes my moving a bit more (and here you get a chance to learn more about me. I lost the word I was about to type. This happens fairly often and has been happening for years, even before the MegaStress. Ah, wait! I think I found it! Or a close synanym....) urgent. I was thinking I would move at the end of October.

And not just moving to another apartment, but buying a house. I'm going to give it a try (while also saving money for a trip to Europe!). We shall see. I've been preapproved for a mortgage. Now I have to find the house and hope I can afford whatever portion of the closing costs remains to me.

So that's what I've been doing the last few days. Looking at houses. On paper and computer, at least. I should go see an actual house or three on Thursday.

I did do a bit of work on The Journey this weekend, as I'm revising a scene where Buck sees Emma to take her out of Sweetwater (where I'd put her with no canonical evidence). As I thought about it some more, I realized that if she was in Sweetwater, the boys might have seen her once or twice in the second season of the show. I called a friend who reminded me that Sam had become a Territorial Marshall and they probably moved to the Territorial capital. So I got on the Internet and went looking for history. While the capital was always Omaha, the legislature pretty much left everything but the kitchen sink behind in 1856 or so and went to Florence. Omaha was still the capital but in not much more than name. So it's rather vague where Sam would be stationed. Still, it's not Sweetwater.

So I began the process of unfamiliarizing the town and making it vague enough to be Anytown, NE 1861. Or Any-Fair-Sized-and-Civilized-Town, NE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home