Gabrielle's Life and Writings

Gabrielle Lawson, writer of Fanfiction. I will use this space to keep a journal about my writing, the progress I'm making, stories I'm working on, writer's blocks I'm having, our adoption process and progress and just life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

I'm multifaceted and highly educated. I have a BA in History and an MA in Museum Studies. But I couldn't make a living in a museum, so my hobby--computers--became my living. I'm now a charter member Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician. I aspire to be a professional writer and/or poet. I am a Christian and have been living by His grace for the last four years or so, despite the MegaStress and now the GigaStress. He keeps me going, and displays His glory still, in my life.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Out of work and a bit worried.

I am now out of work. Okay, a little catching up is needed. I did find another job and so quit the one I said I hated last time. That was in the second week in July.

I got a full paycheck on June 30th from my previous job. I got a half one from them for the first week in July. I had insurance through the end of July.

I got a no paycheck in the middle of July from the new job because the new job meant that the paychecks were delayed for 2 weeks. I got my half paycheck at the first of August. It covered the 2nd week of July.

I had to wait until August 16th to get my first full paycheck from my new job. I also ended up with need of antibiotics. No insurance. I got my doctor to give a prescription without going in. We used one I had used with no problems before.

Not this time. I started feeling a bit nauseous through the weekend. I woke up dizzy and nauseous in the middle of Monday night. I called in to work but said I'd be in. I came in two hours late and worked to 6:30 as scheduled. I had a fast heartrate and was occasionally dizzy. I did not feel well, but I worked.

On Tuesday night, I went to the ER. No insurance still. I have to wait to see the bill to know how much that will set us back. I was given an IV to counteract the antibiotic I was allergic to and slow my heart. I was told to take Benedryl and given a prescription for Prednisone.

I took Benedryl the next morning and went to work. Still slightly dizzy and weak. I worked the whole day even though I really felt bad after my lunch-nap. I took more Benedryl, not realizing it made me drowzy. I spent the next 4 hours in a fog but I worked. I went home at 6:30.

On Thursday, I felt better. Things were working out. Until the afternoon when I was given the option to resign. I won't go into the whys and hows here, but I'm out of a job. I got my last two paychecks early. I now have no other income.

I applied for 8 jobs on Friday. I have had trouble sleeping. I'm mopey. But there is a hopeful side. If I can just trust God. If He really did mean for me to stop working full-time and do the ministry full-time (adoption ministry), then I now have the time to do it. But we will need Him to provide us with money from somewhere. My husband's paycheck won't cover half the bills. Not to mention food and such, and saving for adoption.

So there's the trust part. We're getting a book to teach us how to start a non-profit. But I'm still looking for jobs. I'm broadening my search. Not just IT. Preferably not IT, though I could use the higher salary. I'm looking at travel more, writing, store jobs, and even learning copywriting. I'm even looking at museums again, and handed my resume to the Curator at the WWI museum here. I spoke with the Director, who is also a GWU alum. No openings yet, but the face-time surely didn't hurt.

I asked God to close doors where He doesn't want me to go, and if He should close all the "job" doors, to take care of us.

So that's kind of blocked my muse of late. I went through unemployment in DC during my MegaStress. Somewhere in there, I didn't even imagine for 5 months. Hopefully, I won't be unemployed as long and my muse will come out of its stupor before 5 months.Oh, in good news, I'll be teaching again, provided there are students. I'm teaching Fanfiction: Writing for Internet Fan Audiences again. But I'm also going to teach a second writing course: Fanfiction II: Grammar, Syntax & Editing. I'm also teaching 4 one-evening classes in mail merge, Palm PDAs, basic Windows introduction, and pie-crust weaving.

    Status of Stories
  • Secret Penname (hint, it's not a female name): posted chapter 10 while I still had that first class. He's written 2 scenes of chapter 11.
  • I've been reminded of my poems God gave me awhile back. A renewed effort toward publication is now called for.
  • All my other fiction is just where I left it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home